Lemmon brings the zest as middle school counselor

Kelly Lemmon

Celeste Garner

Kelly Lemmon

Kaylie Lemmon is a new edition to the TJCA family as the middle school guidance counselor this year. She is a lover of Harry Potter, writing and nature. Lemmon enjoys all genres of music, but mostly classical, and loves all things related to coffee. She is married and has two children- a one-year-old son and a four-year-old daughter inspire her book series based on recognizing the importance of the outdoors in a fun way. Lemmon earned an undergraduate degree from Appalachian State University in professional writing and is also currently completing the last few months of a master’s counseling degree at Gardner-Webb University.

“The opportunity to come to TJCA was a surprising one,” Lemmon said. “It was very much a God thing because I truly believe I am where I am supposed to be. The students, staff, administration and parents  have been very welcoming as I have worked on settling into this position. I am extremely grateful for the hearty welcome and look forward to many more years here at TJCA.

“Middle school is where our students go through the biggest transformation and I am excited I get to be a part of that change,” Lemmon explained. “I hope we can grow and change together.”

Her school counselor at Appalachian was an inspiration for Lemmon to become a counselor herself. She helped her through hard times in her last few semesters of her writing degree and motivated her to keep pushing forward.

“After a diagnosis rocked my world in college, I was told I would never accomplish my dreams,” Lemmon explained. “College graduation, that dream job, a future family, all of those things were suddenly being stripped from me. Academically, I lacked a support system, until I met Maranda, a counselor at the university’s office of disabilities. She was always in my corner and constantly reminded me that I could do anything if I set my mind to it. She found my strengths and pushed me to do my best. Be my best. Because of her, I refused to let someone else put a dis- in my ability. A motto I still live by to this day. She is the reason I became a counselor. I want to be someone’s Maranda . I want to help my students to see that we all have different paths in life, obstacles and potential derailments, we may have to go off course and find another way, BUT we will get there. Together.”

Lemmon wants to combine expressive arts with her work as a more broad and appealing way to recognize emotion and express feelings. Kindness and strength are definitely Lemmon’s cups of tea. Lemmon  is free-spirited and very determined with her ideas.

One of the many quotes Lemmon lives by is, “In a world where you can be anything, be kind.”