Gryphons host blood drive Thursday

Give blood, give life

Christian Horton, Staff Writer

TJCA is hosting our first blood drive of the year with Red Cross on November 29th, in the high school gym. Times will be from 10:30 am to 3:30 that afternoon. Anyone age sixteen or above is encouraged to donate for this heartwarming cause. Our very own NHS/Beta Club members and staff will be helping out with the donations. Charlotte Odum is assisting with the hosting as well.

“Last fall we set a record. I’d Love to equal that or even beat it,” she said. “I’ve worked in healthcare, I’ve had my family need blood, and I’ve needed it myself. I’ve seen the benefits of blood drives in action.”

The Red Cross, according to www.redcross.org, provides about 40% of the nation’s blood and blood components. Each donor generously gives one pint of blood, and that blood could be used for up to three people.

“Supply can’t always meet demand because only about 10% of eligible people donate blood yearly,” the organization explains. “Each new donor helps us meet patients needs.”  The blood potentially can be used for a wide range of patients, like those in the battle of cancer, surgery under-goers, and those in accidents. Each student or parent could help the Red Cross #Givemorelife this year by attending this cause, and spread the holiday spirit by giving hope to patients and their families.